Until recently, Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships have been awarded in 20 constituencies representing more than 60 different countries. Now the scholarships are fully international: two new Global Scholarships allow qualified candidates from the rest of the world to apply (subject to nomination).
About the Organization
The Rhodes Trust is a global organization that uses its deep connections around the world to bring together people of different backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage people to discuss, challenge each other’s thinking and develop new ideas. Cecil Rhodes hoped his administrators would adapt their plans to respond effectively to changing conditions.
After his death, his trustees formed many more scholarships for Canada than he himself had done. Adaptation continued through three Acts of the British Parliament and other major changes to his will, for example, during the First World War, canceling the German Scholarships, which were twice re-established by his Trustees (in 1929-30 and 1969-70). in 1929, completely transforming the geographic basis on which scholarships are awarded in the United States. opening all but four scholarships to women and men in 1976. opening these four scholarships (for branded schools in South Africa) to women in recent years.
However, in the first 100 years after Cecil Rhodes’s death, the Trustees at one point added about 40 Scholarships, although not all of them continued.
In 2003, to mark the centenary of the Rhodes Scholarships and to continue the Rhodes Trust’s historic responsibility in Africa and specifically in developing leadership for Africa, the Rhodes Trust participated in the innovation of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation.
The Rhodes Trust is a forward-looking organisation. As Nelson Mandela said at the launch of this Foundation in 2003, there is an opportunity to close the circle of history.
Moreover, we do not avoid history, but use it to challenge the status quo.
- The basic term of the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships is two years, subject always to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct. In specific cases, under the control of the Rhodes Trust Academic Committee.
- Rhodes Trustees, students can apply for the third year of the scholarship to complete the DPhil,
- Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships are for no less than two years.
Eligibility for Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships
Rhodes Selection Committees seek young people of exceptional intelligence, character, leadership and commitment to service from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide.
The four criteria governing the selection of Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships students are:
- Literary and scholarly achievements (academic excellence)
- Energy to use one’s talents to the fullest (as shown by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theater, and artistic pursuits, especially when it comes to teamwork)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy and protection of the weak, kindness, selflessness and companionship
- The moral force of character and intuitions to lead and care for one’s fellow men.
The following eligibility standards apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships:
- Nationality & residency: From any country in the world
- Age: You must have reached your 18th birthday and not reached your 24th birthday on 1 October of the year of application. There is some variation in the upper age limit between constituencies depending on the local environment. Please check the exact age requirements for your constituency carefully before applying. Successful applicants will arrive in Oxford in October following the selection process. The scholarship cannot be deferred.
- Education: Rhodes Scholars must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before arriving at Oxford, at a sufficiently high level to meet both the Rhodes and Oxford criteria. Consult the detailed information provided by the constituency you are applying to on the How to Apply for a Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships page and the University of Oxford newsletter pages. Note: Some constituencies require completion of your undergraduate degree in the year you apply for the scholarship.
How to Apply for Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships
If you are interested and eligible for the Rhodes Trust Global Scholarships, please go to Rhodes Trust at www. Rhodes house.ox.ac. the UK to apply. Please note that you can only submit one Rhodes Scholarship application per application round. Any applicant who submits more than one application per year will be disqualified from all applications submitted.
For more information, visit website.
The scholarship application deadline is August 1, 2022.
Not interested in this scholarship? I see other UK scholarships here