The NASA Hubble Fellowship Program (NHFP) provides an opportunity for recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research which contributes to any area of NASA Astrophysics.
Application Deadline: 3rd November, 2022, 7:00 PM EDT.
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): USA
About the Award: The NASA Hubble Fellowship Program (NHFP) supports outstanding postdoctoral scientists to pursue independent research which contributes to NASA Astrophysics, using theory, observation, experimentation, or instrumental development. The NHFP preserves the legacy of NASA’s previous postdoctoral fellowship programs. Once selected, fellows are named to one of three sub-categories corresponding to NASA’s “big questions”:
- How Does the Universe Work? – Einstein Fellows
- How Did We Get Here? – Hubble Fellows
- Are We Alone? – Sagan Fellows
Type: Postdoctoral, Fellowship
- The NASA Hubble Fellowship is open to applicants of any nationality who have earned their doctoral degrees in astronomy, physics, or related disciplines on or after January 1, 2019, or who will receive their degree before September 2023. Applicants with a PhD award date prior to January 1, 2019 may be eligible in exceptional cases (see below). Graduate-student awardees who have not yet received their doctoral degree at the time of application must present evidence of having completed all requirements for the degree before commencing their fellowships.
- Eligibility of applicants for the 2022 class of NHFP Fellows may extend to those who received their PhD as early as January 1, 2019, if professional work was necessarily delayed by personal or family considerations. Such extended eligibility must be justified by emailing [email protected] at least 2 weeks in advance of the application deadline. We realize that many applicants may have had their research programs disrupted by the pandemic. We will take this into account when granting extensions for next year (applicants for the 2023 class). Extensions this year are for people whose ability to put in a successful application last year was affected by their personal or family situation.
- NHFP Fellowships are open to English-speaking citizens of all nations. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or national origin. Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: Contingent upon NASA funding, 24 new fellowships will be awarded for 2023.
Value of Award: The NASA Hubble Fellowship provides salary support plus benefits for up to three years, and an additional allowance for travel and other research costs.
Duration of Programme: 3 years
How to Apply: Required application materials include the following:
Applicants must submit their materials via the web Application Form. These materials must include:
- Completed Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Summary of previous and current research (limited to three pages total). Summary section references may be included in the references in the Research Proposal section.
- Research proposal, described below (limited to five pages total including references and figures).
Please do not attach anything not listed above (reprints, preprints, cover letter, etc.) to your application.
All materials submitted must be in at least 12-point font, single spaced, and all pages should be numbered.
Non-U.S. applicants should make sure that their applications will copy successfully onto 8.5 x 11 inch (21.6 x 28 cm) paper without loss (i.e., with 1-inch margins on all sides). Please keep each file to less than 2 MB.
When you fill out the application form you will be asked to specify the science categories and techniques that best match your proposed research. This is to help us match your proposal to reviewers. For a detailed listing and more information on how they are used in the review, see Science Categories and Techniques.