You are qualified to be a Mastercard Foundation Fellow? To participate in this special scholarship programme, the University of Cape Town is looking for the next generation of leaders. As part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, nearly 400 African students will receive full scholarships at UCT until 2024.
The University of Cape Town has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation on its Global Studies Programme. an educational initiative that will offer youth from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, leadership potential from developing countries in Africa access to quality university education.
Scholarship Sponsors: Mastercard Foundation
Host institutions: University of Cape Town, South Africa
Scholarship Worth: fully funded
Number of awards: enough
Level of education: Degree, Postgraduate & Postgraduate Honors.
Nationality: African students
Also Apply: MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at University of Pretoria 2022/2023
DETAILS | Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
The program offers students a top-notch education, as well as opportunities for leadership and professional development, mentoring and access to a large alumni network. Find out how you can help us bring about good change in our communities.
The Program will provide scholarships to the academically talented young Africans to continue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Students enrolled in the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counseling.
To be eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country
- Applicants must be admitted to an Honors and Masters program and be prepared to start their first year of enrollment in the faculties of Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Science at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need and leadership potential
- Applicants intending to register for a second Honors and Masters degree at the same level are not eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for an Honors and Masters degree at the same level at any higher education institution are not eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants must have applied and received a firm offer to study at UCT for the 2023 academic year.
- Applicants must come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and have acted in a leadership capacity
- No applications for undergraduate, graduate degree, PhD programs will be accepted or considered for the recruitment of the 2023 Fellow in the Program
Successful applicants for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program will receive the following program benefits:
- Reimbursement of visa application processing fees
- Economy class airfare to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are (i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or (ii) resident in South Africa but outside Cape Town
- Full tuition and international student fees
- Living in student housing managed by UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student accommodation scheme at UCT
- Medical coverage with a recommended medical assistance service provider
- a living allowance; to use ad hoc expenses due to the awardees’ studies
- Book allowance for the purchase of prescribed textbooks required for the curriculum
- Expenses related to community activities as defined by the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- Economy class airfare home after graduation, for awardees who (i) are citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) resident in South Africa but outside Cape Town.
See also: University of Gondar Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2022/23
How to apply: To apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must first apply to UCT for academic study and placement (Important to note – when creating the student number, applicants can proceed to apply scholarship pending final academic application results).
At the point of scholarship selection, the applicant should have a conditional / firm offer from UCT. The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the POSTGRADUATE scholarship application form in the online application portal:
- Certified copy of Identity Card, Passport or Refugee Cards
- Curriculum vitae (CV) of the applicant not exceeding two (2) A4 pages with the following points as context: ⎯ Participation in extracurricular activities ⎯ Skills and interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience Certified copies of all High School transcripts
- Certified copies of all current and previous higher education transcripts
- Two (2) different Academic Referee Reports
- Applicants must produce translated copies of all academic transcripts and academic referee reports where English is not the primary language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the institution’s official letterhead with an original signature, stamp, and date in support of the applicant.
Application deadline: September 30, 2022