The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship program at Stanford University aims to foster new ideas in journalism through innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership. Each year it brings up to 20 journalists and journalism innovators from the United States and around the world to spend the year at Stanford.
Application Deadline: 1st December, 2022 11: 59 pm
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Stanford University, USA
About the Award: A John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship has two primary components: Exploring and testing ideas for addressing a problem in journalism that is important to you, and identifying mindsets and tools needed to become a more resilient leader and change agent.
We are seeking fellows who:
- Are fiercely committed to the future of journalism, in all of its messy uncertainty
- Aren’t satisfied with the “way things have always been done”
- Are eager to grow as journalists, as leaders, as people – they believe their best work and best selves are in front of them
- Embrace diversity
- Are excited about the prospect of being coached through a deep examination of their mindsets and perceptions of themselves and their place in journalism
- Like the idea of being “in fellowship” with a cohort of other journalists from varied professional and personal backgrounds
- Are ready to set aside current work responsibilities and dig into a 10-month journey of professional and personal exploration.
During the 10-month fellowship, we provide our JSK Fellows individualized coaching, a cohort of their peers and guidance that sparks professional and personal transformation. In addition, fellows will have the time and freedom to tap into and explore the resources of this world-class university. We are especially interested in empowering those who are working to serve underrepresented communities.
- U.S. and international journalists with digital-native and legacy news organizations, independent journalists, journalism entrepreneurs and journalism innovators.
- Applicants need to have at least five years of full-time professional work experience. We do not require applicants to have a college degree, or experience in traditional newsrooms.
- We generally do not accept applications from people working in public information or public relations jobs, for trade and house newsletters or magazines, for government agencies, or in academic positions.
- Our fellowship does not fund or support book projects or reporting projects, and we are not a business accelerator.
Selection Criteria: Applicants must demonstrate their ability and desire to work collaboratively and respectfully with people with a range of ideas and perspectives.
Number of Awardees: 20
Value of Fellowship:
- During our 10-month fellowship, we provide JSK Fellows with individual coaching, tailored workshops on leadership, a cohort of their peers, and guidance that sparks professional and personal transformation.
- Fellows also have the time and freedom to explore the resources of a world-class university. We help fellows to develop the leadership resilience and mindsets needed to effectively lead and navigate change for decades to come.
- JSK Fellows are welcomed as members of a global community working to improve journalism and gain new friendships, professional connections, and skills that will continue beyond the fellowship. We invest in each of our fellows as journalists — and as people — for life.
- We provide a stipend of $95,000, plus a housing supplement to help with your rent. In addition, for fellows with children up through high school graduation, we provide an additional supplemental payment. We also cover the cost of Stanford tuition for fellows and Stanford health insurance for fellows, spouses and children. We also help fellows find rental housing near campus.
Duration of Fellowship: 10 months (September to June)
How to Apply: Apply via link below