Australia is one of the best destinations for international students. THE Country Between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, it is known for its sunny beaches, warm weather and outdoor lifestyle. According to research Australia as a country attracts the third largest number of international students, behind the USA and United Kingdom of any country in the world. However, most international students choose to study in this beautiful country because of the high quality of education.
Interestingly, Australia is not only represented as beautiful Continent but also a preferred destination for studying a competitive course like engineering and related fields. Here, you will find detailed information on how to study engineering in Australian Schools, entry requirements and lucrative scholarships and funding programs to aid your studies in Australia.
He studied engineering in Australia
Studying engineering in a country like Australia is a big dream for international students, Australia has some of the best engineering institutes after the USA and the UK, making it an attractive destination for international students around the world for some years now. . These institutes offer high quality education and their degree offers numerous benefits to the holders.
Engineering is a profession known to have endless possibilities. It uses scientific principles to solve complex problems and build modern technological machines. Engineering is divided into various sub-disciplines which include mechanical, chemical, civil, electrical, geotechnical, chemical, petroleum, etc. To study engineering and become an engineer, you should have a certain skill set or a strong background in maths and sciences like biology, chemistry and physics etc.
To give you an idea of how to start studying Engineering in Australia, let’s start by looking at some of the best universities to study engineering in Australia.
Best universities to study engineering in Australia
- University of New South Wales: THE university of new south wales it is one of the best universities in Australia. Its School of Engineering is widely regarded as the Center for Engineering Studies and Research. With more than 50 years of excellence in education and learning, it offers more degree specialization than anywhere else. The institution focuses more on incorporating the latest developments and trends in its research, not only in engineering but also in other fields. This great institution offers different engineering programs that include biomedical, chemical, computer, electrical, mechanical, mineral and energy resource engineering among others.
- The University of Sydney: This institution aims to create impact through engineering innovation. Its main goal is to respond to key challenges in healthcare, infrastructure, food and also the environment, it aims to invest in a more sustainable future. However, this university offers world-class education through the latest technology incorporated in teaching and research work. This university offers varieties of undergraduate programs which include advanced computing, aeronautical engineering, biomedical, chemical, bimolecular, electrical, software engineering, etc.
- University of Melbourne: the University of Melbourne is widely recognized as one of the best universities in Australia, as an international student, if you choose to study engineering at this university, you will need to position yourself in a significant leadership role in solving complex engineering challenges and difficulties. This institution offers a curriculum designed to prepare international students for global engineering challenges. The duration of study begins with a three-year bachelor’s degree in science, design or biomedicine, as recommended by the university, and then the student can choose an engineering systems major afterwards. To become a globally accredited engineer, you can complete a two-year master’s degree in engineering in your preferred area of expertise. The school’s engineering majors include biomedical, chemical, civil, structural, electrical, energy, environmental, hardware, software, mechanical and aerospace engineering.
- Monash University: This university is always ranked among the top 100 universities in the world with its valuable education and qualifications and wide range of study options. This institution equips its students with a global perspective of purpose and the confidence to make a change for the better, at this prestigious university they will be taught exclusively about creativity in discovery and challenges in the world of engineering. The institution offers some unique engineering programs which include engineering and arts, engineering and commerce, engineering and computer science, engineering and information technology, engineering and science, laws and engineering, etc.
- University of Western Australia: This university ranks in the top 1% of universities in the world and was recently ranked 33rd in the world in terms of civil and structural engineering. The engineering faculty at this institution aims to empower its staff, students and researchers to impact the world through innovation and breakthrough ideas that will help the future thrive for the better. To become a professionally qualified engineer at this university, you will need to complete five years that include a three-year undergraduate program and a two-year master’s degree in professional engineering. The engineering programs offered at this institution include civil, chemical, electrical, environmental, mining, mechanical and environmental.
Also Check: How To Study With Fully Funded Scholarships In Australia
Admission requirements to study engineering in Australia
To get admission in the top engineering universities in Australia, certain documents and steps are usually required. Below are some of the commonly required ones.
Documents required for admission
- International Passport
- proof of funding
- Scholarship award
- Proof of English proficiency
- academic transcripts
- recommendation letter
Other requirements and considerations
To be accepted for engineering degree programs in Australia, students must meet the following requirements among others.
- Applicants must complete secondary education with the necessary certificates
- Applicants must be 17 years of age or older
- Applicants score above 60% weighted average in their 12thu examination
- Applicants are expected to provide proof of English language proficiency. Getting a good score in standardized tests like IELTS and TOEFL (usually IELTS – 6.5 minimum and TOEFL -60 to 90) is usually the best way.
Note: Students may obtain waivers for IELTS or TOEFL if they are able to present alternative proof of proficiency. Check out our post on Scholarships in Australia for international students without IELTS/TOEFL and Top Scholarships in Germany without IELTS | Fully Funded
Scholarships and Funding Programs
International students who wish to study engineering in Australia can benefit from these scholarships if they meet the eligible criteria. While some of the scholarship programs are fully funded, some may only cover part of the applicant’s educational expenses.
Some of the popular scholarships to study Engineering in Australia include:
- Australia Awards Scholarships: Awarded to students and professionals from developing nations from peaceful and Africa to study in Australia, the Australia Awards Scholarships are awarded for a two-year postgraduate study program or short course in a wide range of disciplines, including Engineering disciplines. It is a fully funded award that covers all costs associated with the student’s studies in Australia.
- Abdul Kalam International Undergraduate Scholarship: This scholarship supports most international undergraduate students whose desire is to complete an engineering degree. It only covers 50% of academic fees for one year.
- University of Sydney engineering Scholarship for undergraduate studies: This scholarship is basically awarded to students who wish to start their undergraduate degree in engineering school after their secondary education. the scholarship is valued at AUD 10,000 and is paid in two installments. This scholarship is awarded with an unconditional offer of admission
- The Rolf Prince Engineering Scholarships in Australia: this scholarship is duly awarded to international students who wish to pursue an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering. It is worth AUD 10,000 and is valid for one year only with a two installment payment plan.
Explore our comprehensive list of scholarships in Australia
Studying engineering in Australia should be a great opportunity for internationals if you have the right requirements and meet the criteria. However, engineering is a very competitive field that you need to score highly to be considered. Depending on your level of preparation, you can also benefit from numbers scholarships to study Engineering in Australia.