Application Deadline: 4th July 2022 at 11:59 PM, (UTC -11)
Eligible Countries: African Countries and India
To Be Taken At (Country): Egypt
About the Award: The Climate Change Media Partnership (CCMP), led by Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) and the Stanley Center for Peace and Security, is pleased to announce the 2022 CCMP Reporting Fellowship Program for journalists interested in covering the 27th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP27). Hosted this year by the government of Egypt, the conference is scheduled to take place in the city of Sharm el-Sheikh from 7-18 November 2022.
Now in its 15th iteration since its launch in 2007, the CCMP has brought more than 400 journalists from low- and middle-income countries to attend and report on the annual UN climate talks. This has enabled journalists from around the world to cover the climate negotiations for their home audiences, while benefiting from working alongside knowledgeable climate journalists and gaining a multifaceted understanding of the actions countries are taking—or not taking—to address climate change’s global impact.
This year, the CCMP Reporting Fellowship aims to bring up to 22 journalists from low- and middle-income countries to report in-person at COP27.
CCMP organizers may also offer a limited number of virtual fellowships with mentoring and other support from CCMP staff and journalist trainers. Applicants will be asked to indicate if they are interested in a virtual fellowship, through which they would cover the COP remotely with mentoring support, if not selected for in-person participation.
Applications for the 2022 CCMP Reporting Fellowship will be accepted from June 6 to July 4. Decisions will be communicated by early August. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted, please consider submitting at least one day in advance of the deadline to avoid any issues.
Type: Conference, Fellowship
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a developing country;
- Fill out the application form using the link below, including answering essay questions that illustrate his/her experience reporting on desertification and degradation issues. We also ask you to describe the kinds of stories you might pursue at the conference;
- Be available to arrive in India on Friday, 6th September and stay until departure on Saturday, 14th
- Commit to participate in all Fellowship activities;
- Provide a letter of support from an editor, producer or supervisor who can confirm your ability to publish or broadcast your material in an established media outlet. Freelancers are welcome to apply but must provide a letter of support.
Selection Criteria: Criteria for evaluating applicants will include the prospective Fellow’s demonstrated experience covering desertification, climate change and other environmental topics, their interest in continued coverage of these issues and their audience and outlet’s reach.
Number of Awards: 15-20
Value of Award: Amongst costs covered will be
- nonrefundable economy-class airfare, hotel, meals, and transportation both in-location and in transit.
- We will also assist with the press accreditation process and provide other support services relating to travel.
- Please note that the process of obtaining any necessary visas is a Fellow’s responsibility; however, visa costs can be reimbursed.
The Earth Journalism Network fully respects the editorial independence of all journalists. Throughout the conference, Fellows are free to report as they see fit. As well as the requirements above, we ask that journalists agree to cross-post all stories they file during the UNCCD COP27 on the Earth Journalism Network website and local and regional partner sites (we expect the stories will first be published or broadcast by a Fellow’s home media outlet).
Duration of Program: 7-18 November 2022.
How to Apply:
- Click the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top of the page.
- If you have an existing account, you’ll need to log in. Since we recently updated our website, you might have to reset your password by clicking the “Forgot password?” link in the log in page. If you don’t have an account, you must register by clicking “Log in” on the top right of the page and click the “Sign up” link at the bottom of the page that opens. Click here for detailed instructions on how to create an account, and here for detailed instructions on how to reset your password.
- If you start the application and want to come back and complete it later, you can click ‘Save Draft.’ To return to the draft, you’ll need to go back to the opportunity and click ‘Apply now’ again to finalize the application.