The University of Bonn will offer it Argelander Scholarships for PhD Candidates from universities in Africa, Latin America and Asia. Interested candidates are invited to apply for the award which offers the opportunity for research stays in Bonn (3–12 months) for PhD students of the named regions.
The aim is to provide funding for PhD candidates from countries in Africa, Latin America and Asia in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, especially in regions that are relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production and to promote international cooperation in the priority areas mentioned in the partnership strategy.
Scholarship Sponsors: University of Bonn, Germany
Scholarship Type: fully funded
Host institutions: University of Bonn, Germany
Scholarship Worth: See Award Benefits
Number of awards: Enough
Level of education: PhD
Nationality: Africa, Latin America and Asia
Also apply: Erasmus University Rotterdam PhD Research Scholarships (fully funded)
University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships | DETAILS
This funding line is intended to intensify collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the aforementioned areas and to expand these collaborations in promoting early career researchers.
At the time of application, a formal or informal cooperation agreement should already exist between the PhD candidate’s home institute and the host institute in Bonn. Host researchers in Bonn act as applicants.
Please note that the application can only be submitted by a professor of the University of Bonn. You can submit your application documents in German or English.
- Preference is given to international PhD candidates undertaking a PhD at a university or research institution in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
- PhD candidates who are already pursuing their PhD. at the University of Bonn are not eligible for funding.
- Funding recipients should complete their PhD at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
- Travel allowance (depending on the country of origin)
- Scholarship €1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child)
- Research allowance of up to 300 euros per month which can be submitted to the International Office after the award of the scholarship. Information about how to apply for the grant will be provided with your scholarship.
Also read: AFRIKA KOMMT! Scholarship for Africans 2022-2024 [Fully Funded to Germany]
How to apply: The application must be submitted by a full-time professor from the University of Bonn. Up to two applications per host/teacher may be considered. PhD candidates must submit a signed letter of motivation.
The Application must include:
- online form
- Project description (PDF up to 8 pages), consisting of:
- Outline of the research project to be worked on during the individual’s stay in Bonn.
please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the host to invite the PhD candidate
- An outline of how the PhD candidate will be integrated into the host institute (workplace, participation in the teaching and research activities of the institute) and a description of how the project will be supervised in Bonn
- Curriculum vitae and motivation letter of the PhD candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel spreadsheet, download here)
Application deadline: May 1, 2022